Regular customer says he suspected something was unusual when every barista asked whether he had “a church home” after adding guacamole.
AUSTIN, TX — Local man Jordan Reyes was stunned Sunday to discover that his favorite coffee bar and breakfast-burrito spot is not, as he had believed for the past 18 months, a particularly ambitious coworking café, but the foyer of a megachurch.
“I thought the building was a little large for a coffee shop,” Reyes said, holding an oat-milk latte and a foil-wrapped burrito labeled The Good Samaritan. “But they had excellent parking, a full espresso bar, free Wi-Fi, a kids’ play area, and a gigantic lobby full of people in name tags. I just assumed it was one of those community-forward artisan concepts.”
Megachurches are generally defined as Protestant congregations that draw at least 2,000 attendees per week, and they commonly operate substantial campuses with varied social and community programs. Church coffee shops have become common in evangelical megachurch settings, with smaller congregations increasingly adding foyer coffee bars as well.
Reyes said he first visited “The Well” after searching online for “breakfast burrito near me,” then returned weekly because the food was good and the staff seemed “almost unnervingly happy.”
“They always said things like, ‘We’re so glad you’re here,’”
Reyes said. “I thought that was just customer service. Then one of them told me, ‘God has a purpose for your life,’ and I wrote a five-star review for the hospitality.”
The illusion finally collapsed when Reyes followed signs toward what he assumed was a private event space and walked into a sanctuary containing 3,000 people singing with their hands raised.
“I thought it was a corporate retreat,” he said. “Then a man in skinny jeans began explaining grace, and I realized I had accidentally been attending the first 12 minutes of church every Sunday for a year and a half.”
The church’s executive pastor, Caleb Morris, said the foyer’s café and food service were intended to create a hospitable place where people could meet, connect, and linger before worship.
“We call it fellowship,” Morris said. “Jordan called it ‘the only place in town that can make a decent breakfast burrito before 10 a.m.’ Both descriptions are, in their own way, accurate.”
Food and beverage options at church cafés often include specialty coffee, breakfast sandwiches, pastries, and other refreshments designed to encourage gathering and conversation.
Reyes said he is still processing the discovery but has agreed to return next week, mainly because the church is offering a new chili-lime breakfast burrito called “The Altar Call.”
“I don’t know if I’m ready to commit spiritually,” he said. “But the salsa is clearly operating at a higher level.”
At press time, Reyes was reportedly wondering whether the framed verse on the café wall—“Taste and see that the Lord is good”—had been a subtle marketing campaign or an unusually direct menu recommendation.
Comments
Post a Comment